The Pocket Score Company will be performing vocal music of the Renaissance and the Middle Ages at All Saints’ Church, Cowper Street, Ainslie on Sunday May 20th at 3pm. Tickets at the door: $15/12.
The Pocket Score Company is a new four-person vocal ensemble, featuring David Yardley, countertenor; David Mackay, tenor; George Brenan, tenor; and Ian Blake, bass.
The concert centres on an English Renaissance mass setting by William Byrd, with other sacred and secular works by the likes of Josquin, Willaert, Peñalosa, Machaut and Jannequin.
Music of great beauty and clarity – and strange tales involving pigs, nags and a nautical young widow, plus a nicely liturgical drinking song.
The programme includes:
- En l’ombre d’un buissonet—Josquin
- Mass for three voices—Byrd
- Vecchie Letrose—Willaert
- Martin menoit son porceau—Janequin
- Relegentur ab Area—anon, 12th century
- Ave Vera Caro Christi—Peñalosa
- Dame, mon Coeur—Machaut
- Un giorno mi prego—Willaert
- Ave verum corpus—Byrd